The National Council of La Raza (NCLR) has honored Latinos for the past 18 years. Friday night at Pasadena Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, Calif. leading Latina actress and activist Eva Longoria and actor and television personality Mario Lopez were co-hosts at the annual American Latino Media Arts (ALMA) Awards to honor the most deserving celebrities in Hollywood including in Latin music.
When it comes to music who else is to be more than deserving as is legendary Latin rock and jazz artist Carlos Santana. Santana received the Outstanding Commitment to Cause and Community Award for his dedication to arts, education and health care for underprivileged youth, as well as the fight against child poverty. He has been garnered with ten Grammy Awards, three Latin Grammy Awards and will be honored at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts’ Kennedy Center Honors in December.
Performances of the night included American-Panamanian Aloe Blacc with Chicano rock band Quetzal and young American-Mexican Sebastien de la Cruz. Sebastien sang “God Bless America” while a video was shown of Latin Americans displaying signs stating ‘I am American.’
The ALMA Awards ended with a tribute to Latinos Rule the Charts as dancers danced to select Latin artist songs which included Pitbull, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lopez, Demi Lovato and Enrique Iglesias.
Additional 2013 ALMA Award honorees included:
- Anthony Quinn Award for Industry Excellence – Robert Rodriguez
- Outstanding Commitment to Cause and Community Award – Rosario Dawson
- Special Achievement in Film – Filly Brown
- Special Achievement in Television – Cast of Dexter
- Ricardo Montalban Award for Lifetime Achievement – Tony Plana
- Outstanding Social Activism Award – Wilmer Valderrama
- Outstanding Industry and Community Service Award – Nancy De Los Santos Reza
The ALMA Awards and an all access red carpet special will be rebroadcast Saturday, October 5 at 4 p.m. ET (3 p.m. CT) on mun2.
–Courtesy of Examiner.com