Thanksgiving in my family is always potluck style. Someone is designated to host and everyone who is invited usually brings a dish to share. Our Thanksgiving menu can be quite large, and not only do we have the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce, but we also have Mexican favorites like tamales, salsa casera (homemade salsa), chile con queso, and exotic desserts such as pumpkin empanadas and tres leches pumpkin flan. The fun part about Thanksgiving is admiring and tasting what everyone contributes to the menu.
Every year I develop new Thanksgiving recipes, and lately I have been experimenting with sweet potatoes. It seems like I’m not the only one who loves sweet potatoes. Check out these Latin-inspired sweet, savory, and versatile sweet potato recipes.
1. Camotes Enmielado (Candied Sweet Potatoes): Go south of the border with your sweet potatoes! This is a dessert that you probably won’t see served at a Mexican restaurant. It’s a traditional warm and comforting home-style dessert.
2. Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Try this recipe instead of your traditional sweet potatoes for a hint of Mexico on your Thanksgiving table.
3. Avocado and Roasted Yam Fall Ensalada: Make this recipe with yams or red sweet potatoes. This simple salad is very comforting and perfect as a healthy Latino side dish for your traditional Thanksgiving.
4. Pan de Batata (Sweet Potato Cake): This recipe is an authentic, traditional, and exotic dessert, which embodies the tropical Dominican Republic.
5. Sweet Potato Turnovers: Empanadas filled with sweet potatoes are perfect for a Thanksgiving buffet.
6. Sweet Potato and Longaniza Tacos: OK, maybe this isn’t a recipe for Thanksgiving, but it’s definitely a simple and delicious alternative to keep in mind for an autumn taco night.
–Courtesy of Parade.com